*Current WT/USAT Rules and Regulations will govern the Championships with few modifications to enhance the competition experience for all participants.
ONLY Masters/Instructors/Coaches will be allowed on competition floor to hold boards when their competitors are performing the breaking routine.
- White V-neck or any colored WT approved dobok for all events.
- Shoes are NOT allowed for any events unless medically required (Please bring written doctor’s note)
- All competitors must supply their own regulation size breaking boards.
(See Creative Breaking rules for sizes. You will be able to purchase breaking boards at the tournament)
- All Black Belt Sparring Competitors will use KPNP Electronic Sparring Gear
(Foot gear will be provided and also for Sale)
WORLD-CLASS SPORT POOMSAE COMPETITION (BLACK BELTS ONLY) – POOMSAE PRO SYSTEM!
- WT Authorized Poomsae: Taeguek 1-8 Jang & Black Belt Poomsae: Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek, etc.
- Age Divisions: Youth (10-11) Cadet (12-14) Junior (15-17) Senior (18-32) Ultra (33+)
- Must register on USAT Hangastar website: usat.hangastar.com (Must be a USAT member)
|Divisions (Both Genders)||Compulsory Poomsae|
|Youth (10-11)||Taegeuk 4 5 6 7 8 Koryo|
|Cadet (12-14)||Taegeuk 4 5 6 7 8 Koryo, Keumgang|
|Junior (15-17)||Taegeuk 4 5 6 7 8 Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek|
|Senior (18-32)||Taegeuk 4 5 6 7 8 Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek, Pyongwon, Shipjin|
|Ultra (33+)||Taegeuk 4 5 6 7 8 Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek, Pyongwon, Shipjin|
***Poomsaes to perform will be posted on website (www.nyopentkd.org) two weeks prior to competition
TRADITIONAL POOMSAE (FORMS) COMPETITION
- Traditional Poomsae (forms).
Color Belt Poomsae: Taeguk 1– 8 or Pal Gwe 1-8
Black Belt Forms: Koryo, Keumgang, TaeBaek, Pyun Won
- Age Divisions: (4-5yr) (6-7yr) (8-9 yr) (10-11yr) (12-14yr) (15-17 yr) (18-32 yr) (33-40 yr) (41 & up yr)
- Belt Divisions: White/Yellow/Orange Belts are Yellow Division (Taeguek1-2). Green/Blue/Purple Belts are
Blue Division (Taegeuk 3-5) Red/Brown/Poom is Red Division (Taeguek 6-8). BLACK BELTS are 1 Division
CREATIVE BREAKING COMPETITION
- All students must use ¼ inch boards. NO SHOES ALLOWED unless medically required.
- 1 minute to setup. 1 minute to finish entire breaking routine. (MAXIMUM 10 BOARDS)
- Scoring will be based on completing routine in given 1 min. time limit, the level of difficulty of the techniques, the number of boards broken at one time, the accuracy of the breaks, the flow of the routine, and the competitor’s show of power, speed, creativity and style. All boards must be broken completely. Cracked, rotted or tampered wood will not be counted in scoring
GYOROOGI (SPARRING) COMPETITION (NON WORLD-CLASS)
- 6-7 yr olds (Dragon) All Belts: NO HEAD CONTACT
- 8-9 yr. olds (Tiger) Color Belts: NO HEAD CONTACT
- 8-9 yr. olds (Tiger) Black Belts: LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 10-11 yr. olds (Youth) Color Belts: NO HEAD CONTACT
- 10-11 yr olds (Youth) Black Belts: LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 12-14 yr olds (Cadet) All Belts: LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 15-17 yr olds (Junior) All Belts: LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 18-32 yr olds (Senior) All Belts: FULL HEAD CONTACT
- 33+ yr olds (Ultra) All Belts: LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- Time Limit: Ages 4-11 (2 Rounds, 1 Minute each) Ages 12-up (3 Rounds, 1 Minute each) 30 Sec. break
- Divisions will be separated into 2 to 4 weight categories
- 20 point ceiling rule will be in effect during any time of match
- Tie matches will be decided in sudden death
WORLD CLASS SPARRING COMPETITION (12 yrs old & up BLACK BELTS ONLY)
– KPNP Electronic Scoring (Electronic Socks will be provided and also for Sale)
– *WEIGH-IN will be held at two locations on Friday, Oct. 11th, 2:00pm – 8:00pm
- Y.H. Park Taekwondo Academy – 3701 Hempstead Tpke, Levittown, NY 11756
- The Peter Jay Sharp Athletic Center at the College of Mount Saint Vincent 6301 Riverdale Ave., Riverdale, NY 10471
– NO SAME DAY WEIGH-IN, NO EXCEPTIONS per USAT Regulations
– Must register on USAT Hangastar website: www.usat.hangastar.com (must be a USAT member)
- 12-14 yr olds (Cadet): LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 15-17 yr olds (Junior): LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
- 18-32 yr olds (Senior): FULL HEAD CONTACT
- 33+ yr olds (Ultra): LIGHT HEAD CONTACT
CREATIVE WEAPONS COMPETITION
- The maximum setup time is 1 minute.
- The maximum time to complete the performance is 2 minutes.
- The performance must be done within the regulation ring size.
NY OPEN TAEKWONDO will allow any traditional martial arts weapon. All blades of any weapons must be DULL. For safety, please do NOT bring a sharp weapon for your performance. Competitors must provide their own weapons.
- Scoring will be based on the following order of superiority (in ascending order): Difficulty of Technique, Creativity, Speed, and Power
DIVING HIGH JUMP
- Participant must successfully dive over a high jump bar without knocking it down
- Participant MUST jump over the bar with a dive
- The height will increase after every round until there is a winner
- In the event of a tie, the winner will go to whoever is shorter
- Divisions will be set by Age only.
TEAM DEMO COMPETITION – *Winning Team will perform during the Welcome Ceremonies at 12 noon
- Unlimited number of team members. No Masters allowed to perform.
- Time Limit: 7 minutes
- Must provide own music and audio equipment if necessary.
***Team Trophies and medals will be awarded for top 3 teams.
INDIVIDUAL POWER KNIFE HAND BREAK
- Each participant will have one attempt to break with a Knife Hand Strike in an area approximately 2 meters x 2 meters.
- The participant will attempt to break 1 inch (15 yrs old & up) or ¼ -inch pine boards with no spacers.
- All boards will be placed on a board holding stand, which is 4 inches tall from the floor.
- The participant must use the side of the palm (from the side of the first knuckle of the little finger to the front side of the wrist) for Knife Hand. Fingers can be bent; however, the hand cannot be closed in a fist position.
- Participants may not cover the breaking hand with any bandages, tape or any other material.
- Each participant must PRIVATELY complete a form that states the number of boards he or she will attempt to break prior to the start of the division.
- The participant who breaks the most boards will be declared the winner.
- If two or more participants break the same number of boards, the participant who attempted to break the greatest number of boards will receive a higher score. (For example, Participant #1 attempts to break 5 boards and only 4 boards break. Participant #2 attempts to break 4 boards and succeeds in breaking
- Therefore, Participant #1 will receive the higher final position within the division, because they attempted to break more boards)
- In the event of a tie for 1st place only (If there is a tie for 2nd or 3rd place there will be multiple 2nd and 3rd places awarded), there will be 1 overtime round. (Add 1 additional board)
- If there is still a tie at the end of the overtime round, the winner will be declared by body weight. (The lightest person will be declared the winner.) A scale will be provided at the event.